Sunday, May 02, 2004

A few months ago, GeoCities decided to dismantle my 5-year-old website. I hadn't been using it much or altered more than a few dozen words on it in the last few years so maybe I was asking for it. When friends who visit my site noticed and told me, and I found it was not a technical problem, I wasn't that sad. There were some things that were certainly gone forever but it wasn't a big loss to me personally. Now, I am starting a new ambitious project, a more complicated labyrinth of ideas.

Just last night, my girlfriend Xin told me she had saved some philosophy pages from my old website (back then when she was obviously "checking me out", she had even hacked into my directory and found files I didn't even have presented on my website, that were not complete) and she sent them to me today.

It is curious to look through because I had forgotten the things that I have written but suddenly think: "I agree with this guy a lot!"

Anyway, here is an excerpt of a story I started writing in 2000. I had written all my ideas in stories then. It is a discussion between an enthusiastic Christian (Devon) and an agnostic guy who masquerades as a homeless person (Davisun):

Devon enthusiasm picked up suddenly with a conception of a new idea, "OK well let me ask you another question then. You admit that you are, in terms of reality, a blindman. Why would you seek to tell people anything about the world. Like the phrase goes, it would be like the blind leading the blind. Why convince people of their blindness or maybe, to put it another way, pull them into a strange sort of voluntary mypoia?"
"Tis' true that I would probably admit that I am blind, and cannot necessary acknowledge much to be true. So what is there for one to do? Well I chose to philosophically sit down and not bother to think about the hard stuff unless the whim should come to mind. Running around willynilly, however, trying to get to a place that one has heard about, but has to charge into the darkness, following a scent, denying one's blindness, now what is that? They might step on a few people, trip over and hurt themselves, knock other people off their respective blind rushes to really GET THERE. Or maybe they don't, they might walk around in confidence. I dunno that is other people. I am thinking, why not sit, maybe flag a few people down to sit by the road side. Being low to the ground so there is no fear of falling. Being still and calm, so no risk of bumping into things. Do you not think that you are also blind to some degree?"
Devon turned his eyes toward the group that sat across the park from him to ponder for a moment. "Yes, I would say that I am. Which is why I would say we need guidance. I would regard the Bible as a map to find the only thing that can lead me, namely God and Jesus. I guess I should add the manditory joke saying, 'And then I saw the light'."
"But can you also say that despite the guidance you have fallen down or stood on people?"
"Of course, to be human is to err. We all will sin in our lives at some stage. Even if you metaphorically say that you are sitting down I don't see how you can claim to avoid such either though.", Devon questioned.
"If you think of it from my point of view, I don't need to. Give me an example of how I could fall? Give me an example of how I could stand on someone?"
"For you to fall... To fail in your studies."
"How is that to fall?"
"How is it not to fall, why is it that you study?"
"Because I enjoy to learn. Regardless of failing, I still learn. How is that any more a failure than not being able to eat all of what is on your plate. There is no requirement to it.. unless you consider what someone has chosen as a standard to be taken as your goal. As it is, because I enjoy to learn it is no problem to pass exams. I like to learn things not for the exams too. If I didn't it do well that would be just the same as my tennis game or my squash game. I love to run around whacking the ball although I might never beat my friends who in turn might not be the greatest players themselves. What is there to compare? There is nothing to fall from."

Just an excerpt. I liked it anyway.

No comments: