Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Solo

It's been over two weeks since I began this short period of living alone. It is a strange change of being, but strangely familiar. The food I'm cooking is quite similar to that I'd cook in my previous single life: vegetarian (although now with occasional fish!). Unrestrained early risings for random fitness (it used to be walks, but now with swims!). Extended reading of books without really worry about time. More strangely though, I'm not staying at work for long past the usual "knock off" time. I had thought that without the need to take someone home I'd stay longer but I've barely done any overtime.

There is the whole "being apart" though. We haven't been apart too long in the past. Very early on, when we weren't living together, I went to NZ for three weeks; there were another couple of weeks when I was on practicum in Shanghai; then there was the business trip for about nine days. That's pretty much it. But with modern communication, there is a weird state of longing without missing. Physically alone ever though the voice and words travel freely.

I've had a pretty good period of swimming. We're lucky to have a 25m pool just 8 minutes walk from home. On the weekends it's relatively empty and I can get a lane to myself. On weekdays the "squad" is there from opening times and I have to share a lane. My injury still persists but is noticeably less troublesome than previously. It isn't a problem for swimming and I hope that it helps me recover so I might be able to run. I'm dreading the thought that I might just be about good enough to run the day I travel to China on Friday. But perhaps that's good: China would reduce my chance of overdoing it. The roads aren't good for running; it's hot and I'll be busy. I still don't know if I'll have the space in my luggage for my usual gear. Also, this problem could still linger far longer than my trip. If I'm being philosophical about it, it might be good for me to be injured till I go to China, because with solitude could come the urge to overdo it and get injured again.

If there was any blessing in all the lack of running, it's that my reading is surging unabated, as is the language learning that accompanies it. I finished of the Mao biography, my longest Chinese non-fiction book, and surged into a really good novel To Live (活着). It was made into a movie I haven't seen, but the book is griping. In three days I've read 130 pages and should read it all before I leave on Friday evening. This importantly lets me leave with a new book in my hand.

I've also put a lot of time into listening to Chinese, especially Cantonese. My ears are now "up to speed" and, in terms of listening to news and current events discussions, better than it was before. I've taken to watching Mandarin dramas to sharpen up too. The combination of reading sometimes and then listening sometimes has a catalytic effect, one skill adding an edge to the other. It's something I always tell students to do, that not many have the persistence to do.

My solitude will be broken in four days. As with an injury, it's important to know how to treasure life both with and without the things that are important to you.

1 comment:

James said...

The last sentence here is a "call-forward" (opposite of a "call-back") to a later blog you do on duality. It is only through injury that you know what it is like to be uninjured. It is only through being apart that you fully appreciate what it is like to be with your wife.