Saturday, April 25, 2020

Corona killed the ESOL star

I've realised that I might have not mused in this blog about a trend I often speak to my colleagues about: the end of the ESOL teaching industry (ESOL = English for Speakers of Other Language). I shared it to encourage people to take broader training and professional development seriously. This predicted trend was, going back to 2009, one of the reasons that I made my decision to get into education management instead of teaching, which was the motivation for going to China where there are big organisations with lots of opportunities.

The main factor in the prediction was technology, which, even back then, before I even had a smartphone was already indicating the increasing substitution of the need to either learn a language, or facilitate the learning of language without the vagaries of brute human-to-human impartation of knowledge and skill. Some primordial translation software such as Babblefish was coming on the scene. I'd already learned language with podcasts and Youtube videos; Skype was king back then and it seemed that the cost-benefit for students would be to learn as remotely as possible. When the sharing economy started to disrupt long-standing industries, it seemed even more like the writing was on the wall. Even in 2013 when we visited China, the adult English teaching market had shrunk. If we had stayed in China, we would have been teaching a smaller number of students with a diminishing group of colleagues.

Of course, prediction is not a science. We returned to New Zealand in 2015 and although I did apply for non-ESOL related positions, both of us are in our fifth year of having our lives supported within the English teaching sphere. And our school hasn't been especially technological till recently. The way my teachers have been teaching is very similar to how I would have been teaching in 2001 when I began. It's been successful. Low cost yet personal, rapport-based teaching. But just like the asteroid strike that killed off the dinosaurs, Covid-19 will either force evolution upon you or render you extinct. 

Within a week, a former colleague at another school went from informing me that an ESOL school in Napier had closed becoming ESOL's first casualty in NZ due to Covid, to telling me on Thursday that his own school, a boutique premium provider, was closing. Our school is intent on evolution and there is a good chance that I'm going to have a heavy responsibility to get things moving. But we're going to be getting leaner and meaner. Staff have gone. Staff will go. 

Of course, this is far from just an ESOL situation. The whole world might be turned upside-down yet. Manning the process of preparation for a pandemic has felt like something that I have the skills to do. Manning the process of change for the post-pandemic world I think gives me a chance to get experience with whole-organisation change, broad technological mastery, methods of incorporating technology into pedagogy (teaching methods) to enhance learning. If I can do this well, pretty much I could make myself quite the commodity. It might be my main way to avoid extinction.

No comments: