Wednesday, June 09, 2004

My current reliever is a great teacher, despite the fact that he has broken the law, asked me to break common teaching practice, and touches children in ways that would not be approved by lecturers at Auckland Uni (not "BAD" touching).

To say why he is great, he has not growled at anyone, he has contained the class, the class listen to him and enjoy him as a teacher (it makes me look bad, but it is great to watch, a child said to me yesterday "We want Mr Newman to read us a book". Sigh).

He is much better than my supervising teacher at giving feedback. He gave me copious observations about my teaching, all written up and explained after the lesson In two weeks, my supervising teacher only gave it to me once. Although both of their notes are similiarly coated in niceties not to hurt my confidence (I have to try hard to translate what I need to do!).

But this teacher tickles the children under their chins, which is technically not proper, he went through a boy's bag, which is a legal no-no, and he asked me to remain and teach a boy one on one in the class, which is a position that is not permitted.

Today had its share of highs and lows. One of my lessons was so difficult. Another went better beyond my wildest expectations! I returned energy sapped. Then the power went out, and I spent 2 hours without the necessities like hot tea. And then when I decided to take a nap, the power came on.

Now, after desperately thinking up more material for tomorrow, I neeeeed sleep. Oh dear.
Night.

No comments: