Thursday, February 24, 2005

Gains and losses

I have temporarily returned to the world of ESOL teaching to mitigate the drone of my own unemployment. Quite fun to get back, except for the early worker mornings. Oh dear.

Anyway, I just saw another brutal movie, Boys Don't Cry. The one thing I want to say about it is that it is one of the few times that I have seen a cinematic "death" and felt the loss. Hilary Swank, who now is acting in Oscar nominated Million Dollar Baby (which I probably won't see), is exceptional as a woman with a gender crisis. It is beyond standard movie realism and sucks you right in. I watched it in pieces slipping it into the time vacancies, but even with a broken viewing it struck deep. It is based on a true story but as is known now, there were liberties taken in the creation of the film. Interestingly, Hilary Swank's previous film before Boys Don't Cry was The New Karate Kid! (in her younger years of course).

No comments: