Sunday, July 25, 2004

Das Experiment

The lab rat that I am, I am using myself again in an experimental way. People say that eating fish is good for the brain. Well that is fine, because my brain is really getting drunk on its own stupidity. It is scrapping the bottom of the cerebral barrel, at the moment. I have lost my umbrella again. I almost lost my second orange cap. I lost my bus card and now owe $9 in overdue fees for a library book.

If I were to start eating fish again for a period of time, would I noticeably remember more or think more clearly? Well, I am going to find out.

Fish are back on the menu.

4 comments:

slug said...

That appears quite unscientific. What is your measure of clear thinking? How much fish are you going to eat? Is it a consistent amount? And what about baseline measurements to account for cyclical effects etc.

Ah, all the wonderful things they teach me in psychology research methods...

Crypticity said...

It might not be scientific but how could such an experiment be made scientific? Should I clone myself so that I can compare realitive results?

I think "clear thinking" would be when I am able to actually keep track of the things I am carrying in my bag and pockets. I can remember names of people that I know well quickly etc.

James said...

How about you sit Xin's experiment again, after your fish experiment? You can see if your estimates get better. I don't know if eating fish helps for that sort of thing though.

Or you could use some other type of test. It shouldn't be that difficult to devise something.

Crypticity said...

I lost my school bag in my home tonight. My green bag. Took me 5 minutes to realise where it was. I think the absense of such dumb things would be a nice indicator.

There was a creepy sort of coincidence on Monday this week, which would have been the day after I posted the original message. I visited my language school and my former administrator brought out a Forest and Board report about fisheries and which fisheries are not at risk, are in a risky situation and those that are in a dire state. Well, no fisheries were safe, and all others were a mixture of at risk and in a dire situation. Considering that one of the key motivations for my vegetarianism was the environmental concerns, it is eerily coincidental that this should come up just as I make such a post.

Ah well, fisheries be damned, for a month or so.