Thursday, July 08, 2004

Slow start

Holidays bring out the worst in me, I am sure. I am so lethargic and distractable and currently running at about 20% efficiency at everything.

Anyway, on a mildly different strand.

I, for the nth time, started running again. Getting back into running fitness is very much a new challenge for me, because ever since I was 8 I went running with my sister (she was a budding athlete) I had a good degree of latent fitness. When I went running at high school, it took only a few runs to get into "gear", find the "zone" and dash around.

Now, after the inactivity of university and teaching and the intervening foot problems, that foundation has been eroded. I struggled to keep running for 10 minutes 37 seconds for a run around the "lesser" block (there are two different "blocks", the lesser is naturally the smaller of the two). In my running days, I think I may have been able to whip around it in 6-7 minutes.

Remembering back to when I was at high school, I would almost have the fantastic motivation for running that I had to be fit and ready in the case of an imminent terrorist take-over of the high school (because you would need to be able to outrun etc.). Fortunately it was just the fitness that I saw as necessary, I didn't go to the firing range to practice using a firearm.

I need to get something to make me continue running. Maybe I should go back to competing against myself, trying to ground that 10:37 down to 8 minutes, while run walking, then running the "greater" block. Ah well, it is a plan.

3 comments:

James said...

You should pay lots of money to enter a marathon (or, even just a half). Then you will feel obligated to train for it, otherwise you would feel like you are wasting your money.

Crypticity said...

In my current state of liquidity, paying for an entry fee would mean I will have to do a non-eating marathon, up to October 1st.

And either way, the lazy, bastardly practical, economically educated part of my brain would recognise as soon as I pay it, that it would be a sunk cost and then proceed to work against me...

Of course, my financial state of affairs, which have been so adeptly tied into a noose, should have been the responsibility of the forementioned part of my cerebrum. It just shows you how lazy it is.

James said...

Heh. I was afraid that you would raise the "sunk cost" argument. It's a good one, too.