Thursday, July 29, 2004

When good feet go bad

Or should that be when bad feet go worse? The day I was going to resume running, my foot almost failed my fitness test. The weather was terrible so I pushed my run day further back. I have worn my foot brace for most of today, and will do so tomorrow. If it passes the test Saturday morning, a run will be done.

Cryptic when we meet

It seems wherever I go, there are crypticians about. Or at least people to be enticed into the fold. At my last practicum, I found a couple of teachers chomping at the bit to do cryptic crosswords together. It has become more apparent that I am far from alone, nor expert, compared to some of my classmates in my course too. One such classmate is Tiri is a case in point. She tells me she hardly had a chance to start the crossword, then reveals half of the gaps being filled with letters. Her knowledge is what is even more stunning, cracking the following two:

Where those for the ferry were always late (4) -> STYX (which I can understand but wouldn't have a chance in Hades of getting)
Well, it's near a disturbance (8) -> ARTESIAN (which is a well, apparently)

This is only a sample of what was an amazing demonstration of clue-cracking. I am training another classmate at solving clues but she may have surpassed me in two days penetrating the concise:

Outstanding Manager (4) -> BOSS (as in outstanding is something that has been embossed).

My contribution was restricted to the more arcane ones:

Attractive perch on top of the world (8,4) -> MAGNETIC POLE (to which I leaped in joy for getting)
Not an area of growing importance in Asia (4) -> GOBI (which is hardly direct, but proved ARTESIAN, which Tiri intuitively remembered being a word)

On the bus, with only one go, I cracked the final really cryptic "cryptic clue".

Not a figure of speech! (6) -> STATUE (like who could get that? I was lucky to have two "t"s so I could aimlessly fit words into it).

Mind you, the above might not be right (we'll see tomorrow morning), but it is complete. My newly learnt words from this single crossword are: Artesian, outre, unbred, mal-de-mer and sea fever. Quite extraordinary.

I am feeling I am bringing a nerdish element to the lunchroom at the School of Education. But everyone is convinced I am a genius. "If in doubt, ask Daniel."

No comments: