Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Kei runga noa atu, raatou

Closing the second day of my practicum, I have found myself where I want to be.

This is quite surprising because I woke up very uneasily and wondering whether I would like to take on a class like I had. In fact, when I woke up it struck me again, "I will have FULL CONTROL of THIS class for a week, this practicum."

But although I was relatively passive, I observed many of the different cues and ideas used by my associate. I mentally criticised some of what she did (I think this shows that I am engaged into thinking about pedagogical techniques), but also saw far more positives that negatives.

After class today, there was a staff meeting. And I was pleased to see a leader as a principal. The previous Principals I had seen were almost nominal in their influence. This one held everyone's attention. Persuasively sent us off to a task. Then in small groups, we completed our tasks with an industrious hum. The whole group was co-operative, productive, focussed and committed to the task. The teachers wanted to be there and saw importance in what they were doing. It is the kind of environment that I think suits me.

Some interesting points from today's observations:

A student was "labelled" as a potential ADHD child by my teacher. From my knowledge of the disorder, I think it is obvious that he wasn't. I had an enlightening chat with the expert teacher who came in who said that teachers tend not to want to raise that possibility. One of our lecturers convincingly argued against the prevalence or even the existence of the disorder.

I received the first challenge to my authority today. I will prepare mentally how I will reply in future. My extemporaneous reply was OK but forethought is my advantage as an adult. Children think on their feet better though in the verbal exchanges. They have the freedom of complete irrationality too (teachers can sometimes play on this too, because it is taken as a given that adults sometimes are completely arbitrary about some thing)

Anyway, I am now motivated and optimistic and over the hitches of yesterday.

3 comments:

James said...

Why do children think better on their feet in verbal exchanges?

Crypticity said...

Heh, well maybe "think" is not the appropriate word. Maybe come up with things to say.

I think because they have fewer safeguard on what they say and much fewer intentions in their speech. It might be just a whim that leads to a whole convoluted discussion. Their dialogue seems very instinctual. Their speech is also highly creative, capable of going on highly lateral tangents that adults are completely ill-adept with meeting. Their language is very lively, and can start answering before an adult has finished.

Teachers and adults however when talking to children process exactly how they should say things, they will think ahead to the possible consequences of their speech, but of course cannot foresee the products of young minds.

Metaphorically:

So what I mean is that teacher's might be black belts in speech composition to express their meaning, but in a fight, children see no reason not to run away, pick up stones and fire them at you, defy the laws of nature.

I guess you could say they are more resourceful with language and logic, even to the stage of transgressing the laws of both.

James said...

Children are less worried about saying the wrong thing. They just say.