Sunday, August 15, 2004

Strange Knights

On the Friday past, I hosted a strange night. This is where people are permitted to be strange, bring their own games and oddities. That was my vision for it anyway. Over the weekend, I have been mental revisiting it and considering how things happened and whether it should be repeated. The following is my retrospection of the night.

My planning left something to be desired. A glitch in the invitation e-mail meant that people had to consider what they would be doing before RSVPing but still people cautiously gave spoken notification that they would come.
I had an unrealistic start time which was impossible for two people to come on time for, and apparently unlikely for all but two others. I should have been more conservative and said 8 o'clock.

The food side of things was unfortunate. I wanted to cook strange things to suit the ends of the party but in the end it was the only "mains" dinner food that came (it was meant to be potluck). I knew at least two people would have trouble bringing food but others brought no shareable food. Two brought food for themselves and ate it while waiting for the other people to arrive. I thought that was peculiar, but then again, to wait for everyone to come would be a long wait for someone who may have arrived starving. Strange food doesn't particularly fill the stomach. A bit like unfamiliar foreign food perhaps. So maybe I should have gone a bit more productive and conventional in the kitchen or made checks to see what people were bringing.

Probably one of the things I was frustrated about is that people don't tend to share my vision for an event. That of course is not their fault, I should either inspire people with the vision, or ask them whether they should really be coming. But I tend to just want people to come.

For example, one person called to see if they could come but also added that they hadn't planned nor thought about what strange things they could do. He and another arrived with seemingly little "strange" intent. I reverted to my old habits of overcontrolling the situation, dragging one out to my bedroom to find strange things for him to wear. I couldn't help but feel how hostile I was or how persecuted he may have felt. I wind myself up for events that I organise, enjoyment is only in appreciation after the event. I even took out a little frustration on a person who called in late and said they would come if someone gave them a lift (a car had been to the Uni already to pick a person up why didn't they communicate earlier...?)

Things went along well at the start with Arvind's game which got everyone involved. From their it had its ups and downs. Hits and misses. Several people had no activities to contribute and little things came up spontaneously (or if it did, I may have killed it accidentally). I may have made the identities in Party Quirks too difficult to firstly represent and secondly to guess. Obviously I hadn't learnt the lesson of my last birthday party.

At times, I waited for someone else to contribute something. I even had a strange outburst saying something was boring when the discussion turned rather prosaic (in retrospect, many seemed rather interested). I forced the pace to continue onto things that I had planned (as I had prepared as much as I could). Maybe because of that outburst though, suddenly it seemed even harder to get any enthusiasm from any of the other guests. My idea of a David Lynch game flopped. Fortunately Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain dance worked better.

In the end, out of all the activities I had planned, I got through all but one, my personal challenge. The second to last event (an experiment) almost became that challenge though. My challenge was to submit to tickling and to see if I could refrain from reacting for 5 seconds. I thought it could be repeated through the night until I did it. I didn't raise this because I wanted to alternate between ideas from other people. Unfortunately or fortunately, my experiment at one stage got be blindfolded and suddenly everyone seemed to want to tickle or hit me. It is not that pleasant when you are blindfolded. Maybe it was their frustration or perhaps it was more light-hearted than I took it.

In the end, I was a little disappointed. Maybe my "Days" are over. I seem to annoy myself and others doing them. At least I didn't get sick (well not yet) over this one.


8 comments:

slug said...

I thought the philosophical question was interesting. I thought of the same question "what I would do if I only have one day to live" two years ago. Interesting how I still don't seem to have a clear idea after so long. I guess what I want to do are more long term things.

James said...

I can understand your disappointment because I don't think the evening went as well as you wanted.

The start time was too early, but, in the end, that didn't matter because we didn't start the planned activities until everyone (except Xin) had arrived.

No-one had the same passion for the evening as you - most probably because they weren't "the organiser". It's easier to be passionate about something you create yourself. Then again, the invitation said that you had to be willing to be crazy for a night (or something along those lines). An implied request to come prepared to contribute and participate, I think.

As for me, I felt a little guilty at the time about not leading any games. I had some ideas from earlier in the day, but I didn't think they were any better than what we ended up doing. A lot of other people didn't contribute a game, but that's an irrelevant excuse.

My favourite parts were the dancing to classical music (AJ's movie will be funny to look at later), party quirks and the question game. The party quirks were NOT too difficult! People are just bad at acting! :-)

Like Xin said, the philosophical question was good. It's a good one for further discussion. It seems like a good proxy for discovering what one's values are.

The David Lynch thing was far too unstructured for a person like me. I had a blank mind when thinking of how I could contribute.

How could it be improved? Maybe the invitation wasn't badly structured after all - you could enforce the idea that you need to come prepared with an idea for a game. You control that by getting them to briefly describe the idea in advance. Or eliminate the expectation of others contributing - then you won't be disappointed. If other spontaneous ideas emerge (like some of Arvind's) then that's a bonus.

Crypticity said...

I thought the philosophical question was rather trite and uninspired actually, but I was happy with the result. I agree that it could show the values people put on things. I was surprised the Arvind was serious that he would (provided no-one else knew of the imminent apocalyse) annoy a bank (or two) with a coin by coin withdrawal. I think not knowing what to do given one day to live would be quite natural, but then again, if it were to happen, you would do something, maybe it is contingent on space and time. Maybe there should be a philosophy night~

James, I thought your acting for the Party Quirks was probably the best out of all performances, the most in role (I struggle to go beyond being myself with a new trait). In retrospect again, I think the actual process of Party Quirks is in itself a skill. To first act in a distinct guessable manner and then slowly let more away is something that would need practising to be any good at. It is easy to forget that the WLIIA? crew have been hard at if for quite sometime. I was disappointed that you had nothing else, but nevermind. I thought the impromptu speech idea would have been cool. JOOC, You are an indirect person, so I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you think the reason for not doing your personal challenge was the real reason?

As for getting people to tell me what they will do in advance, that is what I was hoping to do. I didn't know the consequence of that insistence would be that people would not RSVP at all. I only got one detailed RSVP and that was from the biggest contributing visitor, whose strange spirit should be bottle and sold.

Anyway, if Strange Nights are to be a regular thing, I am not organising the next one unless I have a change of heart. If someone else does, I will participate with gusto. Either that, or I think of another format or way of doing things. I am cursed with a desire to do big things (presentation, parties, video nights etc.) but seemingly erratic fortunes when it comes to the crunch.

I have started to recall another frustrated party, at Amy's, I can't remember what it was for. Maybe her birthday. Anyway, she decided to have an Elegance competition. Only I (and maybe one other) actually tried. Everyone else was pretty much immovable. I get tired of passive intransigence. But remaining so idealistic just hurts me. C'est la vie.

James said...

A philosophy night sounds cool, but I'm not sure how successfully you can plan such a thing. A group of us have weblogs, now, and if I think of anything philosophically interesting, then I would probably post it there. Such a website sparks future in-person conversations, though.

Thank you for your compliment about my acting. I like acting in a role (so is it strange that I abominate public speaking?). I'm doubtful that we will get an idea organised for the 10-minute performance, but if we do, I would love to act in it.

What does "JOOC" mean? I can't get it!

My reason for not doing my personal challege was pretty much right. I didn't want to be all sweaty afterwards, and inconvenience the party by needing a shower. I am also wary of the illegal nature of it. Though, I would probably run to the top of Mt. Hobson and back (at night) or along a beach, naked. They seem easier, even though the embarrassment and illegality factors are just as strong.

Tangent: where in Auckland (aside from Waiheke island) do people go legally sunbathing nude?

I remember getting an e-mail from you about Amy's party. Didn't Alicia's teddy bear win 1st prize? :-)

slug said...

I don't think organising an event and expect everyone to participate passionally is such a realistic expectation. For example, during the David Lynch film, I was thinking of doing something, but the story of selling the symbol and two mountains seem to take on its own force and there is no space for "distractions" from me. I think it is more to do with my strange personal issues than anything on your part. I'm the kind of person who tend to fade into the background and be a fly on the wall. I found Amy's Elegant day quite fun actually, even though I didn't do that much. I mean, if everyone just want to get to the centre of the stage then there will be no one to watch the show.

I had an idea for the 10 minute theatre piece. Actors are always trying to be someone else on stage. Why not let the actors be actors themselves? Or act out their worst nightmare about acting?

Crypticity said...

For a philosophy night, the moot(s) could be precipitated by a message here. Or it could be just that one person thinks of a topic, asks if anyone else has a topic, and we could cover a few... Or maybe the Philosophy/Theatre Sports night where you MUST bring one or both... Ah, I really seem in love with the idea of compulsion.

For the 10-minute performance, I think I will be too distracted. I know the "due date" for that must be quite close.

JOOC = Just out of curiosity. I made that up on the spot but it is bound to have been used before.

I was wondering about your reason just because I didn't think that practicality of washing was really an issue if you wanted to do that challenge. I think the desire to do a challenge rarely is inhibited by non-monetary reasons (legal reasons are more convincing).

Apparently, and I stand to be corrected, things like nude-bathing is up to individual councils. Only the militantly self-righteous North Shore council has tried to fine people. I can remember a letter to the editor saying that such is not illegal on West Auckland beaches. As an identified (by people on the internet) clothing optional beach, there is one near our camping spot at Huia. But then again, on say Muriwai, it is easy to find an unoccupied section of beach, and I know this works.

Nude beaches are made by patronage as New Zealand beaches are not declared so. Waiheke became a clothing optional beach simply because people continued to do that and lawsuits to stop them failed. There is no such thing as a official sanctioned nude beach in NZ.

Your legal mind might be interested in the following:
http://www.top.net.nz/~fbgnz/Law/law.html
On that website it also boldly declares:
"There is no New Zealand statute which states that being naked is illegal" as only "obscene" exposure is mentioned in the law (which is on the webpage mentioned).

As for beaches, I just found:
http://www.top.net.nz/~fbgnz/Beaches/natbeach.html

As for Alicia's teddy bear, this is another point of my memory which has faded. Maybe it is a repressed memory, beaten by a stuffed toy. That sounds a likely story though.

Crypticity said...

Xin: That is a good scenario. If you submit it, I'll be a frustrated actor if you want. Are you willing to be a director? It could be like the movie Adaptation, where the characters talk about adapting a novel into a movie in a movie adapting a novel from a movie.

slug said...

sure. i will write a submission and you can improvise