Saturday, August 07, 2004

Language exchange

After a hiatus of 2 years, I have restarted doing language exchange. This time it is with my newly acquired language te reo Maaori. My exchange partner worked in China for a brief time and had tried to pick up Chinese at that time but had forgotten a lot, so I used my Chinese knowledge to trade for Maaori practice. She was quite shocked that I had quite substantial Maaori accumulated in my memory banks and was making sentences quite readily and even asked questions about how to say sentences that she struggled to know how to say.

It was productive though, it was so nice to hear sentence structures and be able to get an explanation. Sometimes the meaning just flowed into my mind, other times my brain froze under the intensity of a string of words which it declared as familiar but didn't want the further commitment of identifying.

No comments: