Thursday, August 26, 2004

Thursday's phoenix

I have just watched probably the most interesting race of the Olympics (for me). New Zealand managed to win the gold and silver medals in the triathlon. The two kiwis were always in the front bunch and then the two leaders for most of the race, but there was always an enthusiastic Swiss man hanging on to their coat-tails, and the usual insidious Australian menace (who came in fourth). Also good was that they completely abandoned the Holmes show to broadcast it live!

Anyhow, today was a crunch day. Observed twice over. Compared to many of my colleagues, I am not averse to being observed. I usually forget that there is someone there while teaching and then am ready to chat with them after. I got some really good pointers from both the University lecturer and my own associate. Ah, I am in self-improvement heaven.

I was quite inspired after class too, figuring out the maths for the next day, spending a lot of time contemplating logical follow-ups and preparing seat work.

The day seemed to take its toll. After listening to the end of the Monday’s Koorero Mai on tape, my energy level collapsed for the first time this week. I just shut my eyes and may have passed out momentarily. Interestingly, looking back in my blogs, it was Thursday that I collapsed last week too.

Since then I have been focussed with the challenge for tomorrow. I will do the whole morning, handle all the transitions and send them off at the end of the day. Unfortunately, due to my own associate’s required lessons, I cannot do any more than that (I wanted to take on one more lesson of work to be completely my responsibility). But it would be nice to consolidate what I have done already. If I can use the feedback I have received, and solidly do the whole morning, it would be a big boost to my confidence before I take on new challenges from Monday to Wednesday before I take the whole reins on Thursday.

I am starting to feel I have timed this facet well. Although, I will have to put a lot of consideration into how I will do the required work for my assignments. Getting momentum and capability should come first, but the assignment stress in this practicum is quite intense too, especially considering the lack of any holiday at the end of it. This weekend had better be a focussed one. It will be the lynchpin of the both the practical side and the assignment side. I have to plan build up enough preparation to be self-determining in the lessons for most of this crucial third week and also calculate the exact execution of lessons to get data for my assignments in this three-week stretch.

Oh dear. I like my talk, now for the walk.

1 comment:

James said...

Good luck! It reads like you are pacing your development well.